THE LAST TOUCH
Dystopian Short Movie
A young couple struggles to keep their love alive in a world where technology has replaced intimacy, and human touch is deadly.
The Last Touch was originally filmed in 2018, although Mars never imagined it would be so prescient! “We are so connected that we are disconnected” is the core idea explored in writer/director Melissa Mars’ award winning short film which has been compared to Black Mirror and Orwell’s 1984. “Disturbing”, “Powerful” (ESO network), the short film has garnered an enthusiastic response at festivals, having already won Best Sci-Fi Short at the Hollywood Boulevard Film Festival 2021 and Best Social Distanced Production Runner-up at Miami International Science Fiction Film Festival 2021, with multiple other award nominations at ongoing festivals.
In addition to the film’s success on the festival circuit, Made in Mars Studios is currently working on developing The Last Touch as a pilot.
“We are so connected, that we are disconnected…”
Melissa Mars, writer & director
AWARDS & SELECTIONS
- Best Scifi Short – Shockfest & Cryptic Awards @ Crypticon Kansas City 2021
- Best Scifi Short – Hollywood Boulevard Film Festival 2021
- Best Social Distanced Production Runner-up – Miami International Science Fiction Film Festival 2021
- Unrestricted View Film Festival 2021 (U.K) * 2 Nominations (Best Sound & Best Score)
- World London Film Festival 2021 (U.K) * Gold Selection
- L’Hospitalet de Llobregat International Film Festival 2020 (Spain) * 4 Nominations (Best International Short, Best Actress, Best Scenario, Best Director)
- Philadelphia Independant Film Festival 2021
- Cinema Sisters International Film Festival 2021
- Zeitgeist Film Festival 2021
- Tylerman Film Festival 2021
- AXD Short Film Festival 2021 (Greece)
- Midwest WeirdFest 2021
- Pittsburgh Shorts 2020
The Last Touch stills
All Rights Reserved © Made in Mars Studios
CAST & CREW
Writer/Director and award winning international artist Melissa Mars (From Paris with Love, Mozart The Rock Opera), stars alongside award winning actor James Kacey (Making of the Mob, Influence) and is supported by the enigmatic vocal talent of Monica Blaze Leavitt (Remedy).
Cinematographer Yaniv Glaser created the clinical, dark and isolated atmosphere in harmony with the “hauntingly beautiful soundtrack” scored by Mars’ longtime collaborator, Steve Sholtes, with an additional music track by multi-awarded composer Olivier Schultheis.
PRESS & INTERVIEWS
DAN’S MOVIE REPORT REVIEW > READ
“The Last Touch is dripping with allegorical ideas”
“Hauntingly beautiful soundtrack.”
“Mars conveys a sadness, melancholy, yet a small glimmer of hope occurs toward the end of ‘The Last Touch’, or does it?”
“The human is hanging by a thread.”
“A five minute short film that puts chills down your spine.”
“In these times of a worldwide health crisis, this work sounds like a warning or a wake-up call. Let’s remember to be humans, and not digital identities.”
“If we are not already on a path to this, this Film heeds as a bit of a warning.”
Check out Melissa Mars’ interviews at various festivals, where she shares anecdotes and stories about making The Last Touch.
- UVFF – FESTIVAL INTERVIEW > WATCH
- L’HIFF – MEET THE DIRECTORS INTERVIEW > WATCH
- MISCIFI – PRE-FESTIVAL INTERVIEW > WATCH
Stay tuned for more publications, interviews, screenings and festival announcements.